Monday, August 30, 2010

Super Adventure Island! And Pancakes!

Yesterday I journeyed to Yokosuka (in Kanagawa prefecture) to visit Sarushima (literally translates as Monkey Island, although there aren't any monkeys there), the only natural island in Tokyo Bay. It was well nice! I was really into part of the journey being by boat, although that bit didn't last too long (the island is 1.7 km away from the shore, so it took about 10 minutes maybe).

We had been informed that sumo wrestlers and their entourage were going to be at the island, and sure enough as we came off the boat we saw them doing exercises along with a radio program or something. Random and amazing! After a moment of gawking, we moved on to rent BBQ equipment and find a spot on the very hot beach. So much burning of the feet! The beach was pretty rocky and absolutely covered with shells, but the water was super refreshing, although full-on swimming never happened due to murkiness and fear of jellyfish. Anyway, it was a lovely time! We ate, we drank, we periodically waded into the water, we briefly joined a random dance party, we played with a big ball I'd picked up from the Daiso. After we returned the rented stuff, we explored the island a bit. It's all jungle-y and awesome. And since it's a strategic location, it has a military history, and you can still see the remains of a lot of old military stuff there. And even older! There's stuff from, like, ancient civilizations that has been discovered there. Pretty epic for a tiny, tiny island in Tokyo Bay!

Super sad times when we had to head back to the boat (last one leaves at 5). I could have stayed there forever. Did enjoy the massive I-was-outdoors-all-day-and-am-exhausted nap I got on the train back to Tokyo though! Did not enjoy all the unexpected sand I discovered on returning home.

Really really want to go back there again. I'm totally meant for a boats-and-island-paradises life.

Today I met up with Yoko in Harajuku for Hawaiian breakfast-at-lunchtime at Eggs 'n Things. It's super popular! We had to wait in a long line. Totally worth it though because it was delicious! I had pineapple pancakes (with guava syrup) and potatoes. After eating not-quite-everything, we wandered around for a long time shopping, got some bubble tea, and then did a couple hours of karaoke. A perfect day!



2 comments:

  1. The Little Blonde Girl30 August, 2010 17:10

    So, your pancakes look delish. I think I want to try to make pineapple pancakes - I have my own guava syrup right now, randomly, so you have served as inspiration. The beach sounds like it was fun although rocky and hot...I think you need to head back to Kamakura and swim there as I wanted to so much when we were there... :) Karaoke and balls with Yoko sound like a blast, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun, and historically informative, time you had on the island!! It looks like a very pretty place. Cute pic of you with the beach ball!! Sounds like you had a nice day with Yoko too. Your breakfast looks quite yummy - makes me want to go out to breakfast - I might have to make a trip to Sterlings soon!! :-)

    ReplyDelete