Friday, April 24, 2009

Asakusa

On Monday I went to Asakusa. Unfortunately, the main attraction there, Senso-ji, is under renovation, so I could not fully experience it. But that’s just an excuse to go back again! And it was still very awesome! What I could see of the temple was fantastic, and there are lovely gardens there. And I got good souvenir-y stuff (and would have got more if I’d had more money - there are a lot of traditional things there, like kimonos and such, and really beautiful glassware and tea stuff; I mostly got cell phone charms on Monday, haha). And I had delish udon and curry rice for lunch. Food here is so amazing; I am already sad thinking about the flavors I won’t be able to enjoy when I leave here.

And it was interesting just wandering around the area. I like how different everywhere in Tokyo is. What with it being where I live and work, I spend most of my time in Nerima-ku, which has quiet residential areas and not-very-crazy city parts; it is a relaxing place! But I spend a fair amount of time in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku too, and those areas are probably what you think of when you think of Tokyo - modern, busy, bright. Asakusa feels old in a way that no where else I’ve been in Tokyo does. I like all those atmospheres, and I like they they can be found next door to each other (quite literally sometimes).

(I was going to go to Starbucks on Tuesday before work and post this, but I got sick instead! Noooo! I am feeling much better now, but it was not fun. When I went to bed on Monday night, I was fine, but when I woke up on Tuesday I was too sick to go to work. I felt horrible, and it was super boring being in my apartment all day! I went to work on Wednesday and was mostly okay, although I started to get really exhausted during my last couple classes. Yesterday was much better. I felt kind of blah to start, but things got better and I still had energy at the end of the day, yay!)


2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous waterfall!! My favorite picture is the one with the girls in their school uniforms. And, I am very glad to know that you are feeling much better!!

    Mum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was like, "What girls in school uniforms?!" Commonplace sight for me now! I only notice if they're really weird, like when a couple little boys got on the train in Ikebukuro yesterday with hats that had giant pom-poms on them.

    ReplyDelete