Thursday, January 7, 2010

Kamakura!

On Saturday, I went on a road trip! I went with three friends to Kamakura (my number one place!). It was really nice to go by car; we were able to catch a glimpse of Fuji-san from the road, and we got to see Tokyo from a different perspective.

We visited Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu (the big shrine there) to pray. Because it is very important to visit a shrine or temple at the start of the new year, it was very crowded. We waited for ages! It was exciting to be there with so many people though, even if it took forever. Before we left, we drank amazake, which is a hot fermented rice drink. I'd never had it before; it was amaaaaaazing.

After some lunch, we visited the Daibutsu and then went to the nearby beach. The beach was lovely because it was around sunset; so pretty!

After we drove back home, we went out for okonomiyaki and karaoke. Delicious and fun! A lovely, lovely day!



2 comments:

  1. Fun times in Kamakura!! I would love to walk on that beach at sunset - it is gorgeous!! Were you a little claustrophobic in that crowd? I think I would have been. There are so many people - they would have definitely been in your space!! What is the 2010 wall? It looks like it might be bamboo. Love the tiger on it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that explains the crowds that I noticed when looking through your pics on FB. I'm glad that you all decided to be spontaneous and take a day trip to somewhere interesting. I love spontanaeity!!!

    ReplyDelete