Monday, July 20, 2009

よさこい 光が丘

There was a festival this weekend in Hikarigaoka! I went for a while today and enjoyed it. There were a lot of different dance groups and food vendors. I had matcha ice cream, bubble tea and duk (Korean mochi; not sure what the dish I had was really called, but it had kimchi and was pleasantly spicy). It was all delish.

Took a break in the middle (we got hot) and went shopping down the street from the park. Got a yukata (next time I go to a festival, I can be more appropriately dressed...if I can figure out how to wear it right), popsicle molds, and shorts with some truly awesome words on them. As follows:

Healthy Wonderful Life
It assists in comfortable life...
Shines vividly finitely
energetic and youthful
It seems to be me and it enjoys doing sports
since 1975

Awesome. And they were super on sale (¥792)!

Returned to the festival for food (duk time) and watched the dancing until we got too tired.

It was nice!

Enjoy the pictures of Japanese-style snack food (above) and assorted food vendors, crowds and dancers (below). And enjoy the video of one of the dance groups! Unfortunately some dudes were in front of me, so you have to see some big heads a few times, but it's mostly okay!






There. Three posts in one night. Does that make up a little for not updating for a month?

4 comments:

  1. Three posts in one night - awesome!!! Love the video - do you have any idea what the guy was saying while they were dancing? The other pics of the festival are fun too - very colorful. Fish on a Stick - think that would be a good competitor for Hot Dog on a Stick?! :-) You will have to take a picture of those shorts - they sound very Japanese!!! And, what is a yukata?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dance video was fun to see!! I'm not sure about the fish on the sticks though - it might be a little hard to choke down!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I googled "yukata," and figured out that it's a cotton, lightweight kimono. Awesome!!! I would love to see a pic of that. Fish on a stick sounds totally weird. Or is that their translation of fish sticks???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Erin is right about the yukata. Summer kimono. Not nearly as complicated as the less casual kimono, but still a bit tricky.

    Yeah, I'm not sure about most of what the dude was yelling - sorry!

    ReplyDelete