Monday, November 2, 2009

Day One: Kyoto (Higashiyama-ku)

So after my amazing shinkansen trip, I arrived in Kyoto in the afternoon. I had been up late the night before at a Halloween party, so I was kind of tired, and it was raining, so I decided to not bother trying to figure out how to get to a new sightseeing spot and just went back to Kiyomizu-dera. It was very pretty in the rain, although I got annoyed at being crammed together with a bunch of umbrellas while I waited to drink the water.

Afterwards, I enjoyed sampling yatsuhashi and walking back to civilization via Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka, in the preservation district. Much less crowded than last time we were there, and the atmosphere was very nice in the rain and the ever-increasing darkness. Please enjoy walking with me down Ninen-zaka in this video!

And enjoy a few pictures of the temple and my walk there! It was nice not having to fight through a huge crowd of people this time!




4 comments:

  1. It is so lovely in the rain!! Wonderful pictures - I especially liked the one with the people coming down the stairs - the umbrellas are so colorful!! Did you like the yatsuhashi? What flavor did you get? Thanks for the video - it was fun to walk with you in the rain - loved hearing it on your umbrella!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YATSUHASHI. I bought some as omiyage to take back to school, and I bought some chocolate ones and matcha ones and another flavor I'm forgetting for me! They're my favorite Japanese sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the pics of the fall leaves - over the temple, and the ones floating in the water. Very pretty! The video was fun. I'm curious - what do they sell in the shops you walked by? Touristy stuff? Boutiquey stuff? It was lovely, despite the rain - the lighting was really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the shops sell touristy stuff. There are a lot that sell sweets or pickled things, both of which are popular in Kyoto. Some have traditional Japanese things or are more boutiquey. So...a variety of things!

    ReplyDelete