Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day Two: Osaka (KAIYUKAN)

Yesterday I went to Osaka. My first plan was to go to the Floating Garden Observatory at the Umeda Sky Building. I saw the building from the train. I could not find it when I got out of the station. At the time I did not know what the building was called, only what it looked like, so I couldn't even ask anyone. Eventually, I gave up and moved on to my next plan, which was to visit the KAIYUKAN, the big aquarium in Osaka. It was so so great (even though, you know, there are fish at aquariums, and I am scared of fish)! There were a lot of great creatures to look at, like otters and dolphins and itty bitty crabs and ginormous crabs and penguins and manta rays and whale sharks. SO COOL!

Enjoy a video that includes some awesome whale shark action!

And enjoy some pictures of awesome creatures! And some random penguin art!






3 comments:

  1. Wow - that whale shark is awesome!! Loved the video - but, it was strange to hear somebody talking in it who sounded American!! :-) The other pics are beautiful. My favorites are the jellyfish and the cute little crab. The penguin art is fun too - it took me a little bit to realize that it was all plastic bottles. Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man oh man, that pic of the jellyfish is BEAUTIFUL. Great work on that. I really liked the vid of the whale shark and friends...apparently you can snorkel with whale sharks in the area we were just at in Mexico - I would LOVE to do that! Can you imagine how awesome that would be?! (Of course, for you, totally and entirely frightening.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really surprised the jellyfish pic came out at all; the lighting was terrible in that room (for taking pictures, at least, not for jellyfish comfort).

    I appreciate the awesomeness of the opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks, but I am terrified by the thought of actually doing so. TERRIFIED.

    ReplyDelete