Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Great Buddha, Kamakura

And here are a couple pictures from last weekend when we went to Kamakura and saw the Daibutsu. Yeah, so this is pretty much one of the best places I have ever been. So famous! So old! I felt so lucky and happy to be there. And for 20 yen you can go inside him! Sugoi!

There is a lot more to see in Kamakura that we did not have time to see (um, we had some getting-on-the-wrong-train issues on the way down, so it was later than expected when we finally arrived), so I will have to go back.

There was a gift shop inside the temple that had lots of interesting things, and there was a gift shop outside of the entrance that also had lots of interesting things, but of a different sort. I bought a couple things on the inside, but I was not sure about the Buddha-shaped cookies and Hello Kitty sitting on a cutesy Buddha's lap cell phone straps that were on the outside. At least, I was not sure about them at the time. Now that I have a cell phone, I kind of wish I'd bought the strap.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! How fun to read your blog! Uncle Bob wants to know ... what is the Daibutsu made of that you can go inside it? Is it carved stone?

    ReplyDelete