Wednesday, May 20, 2009

東京ディズニーランド

No apartment pictures yet, sorry. But I have an excuse! On Monday I went to Tokyo Disneyland!

It was FUN TIMES. It wasn't super crowded! The weather was lovely! I experienced rides I haven't been on in forever! Dumbo! The canoes (awesome)! I experienced rides I know and love in Japanese! Star Tours! AstroBlasters! The Haunted Mansion (well, some of it was English, but the narration was Japanese)! I experienced rides I know and love in pretty much the same form as in California! Pirates of the Caribbean was so similar it kind of weirded me out a bit. The first skull after the bayou speaks Japanese, there is only one waterfall, and you disembark right after Captain Jack Sparrow gets his treasure, but everything else - the smell, the look and sounds of the Blue Bayou, the temperature, the everything - tricked me into thinking I was in Anaheim. It was jarring to get off the ride and find myself in Japan.

There were some fab eating times too. I had a delish orange popsicle. And I had two churros! A regular cinnamon one and a honey-lemon one! Oishii!

Other stuff! I got to see the Electrical Parade! I got to see a cute live show! I got my picture taken with Wendy and the scariest Peter Pan ever (I think only my mother will know what I'm talking about, but he reminded me of that guy at Nordstrom - replace "Omigod, it's coming to LA!" with "[huge gasp] Did you fly here using pixie dust?!" - only he was terrifying in his unrelenting cheerfulness). I was super lame and wore mini Minnie ear barrettes most of the day!

Maybe the best part of the day was that I didn't get stressed out by other guests! No one was rude! No one shoved! No one got right up on you in line! No one acted like the park was only for them and no one else deserved to be there! The one time some kid bumped into me in line, his mother apologized! Everyone listened to the cast members when told to do or not do something! Even if everything else had been exactly the same as Anaheim, the excellent behavior of the other guests would have told me I was somewhere else. I've possibly been forever spoiled; I foresee being extra annoyed next time I go to Disneyland back home.

The only tragic thing about the day was that Space Mountain was not open. Hopefully next time!

But in general, the day was happiness. I want to go back already! Before I went, I obviously knew that it was close, but it didn't seem real since I hadn't experienced it for myself yet. But now that I've been and know exactly how close to home it is, it will be hard to resist going. If I could afford an annual pass, I would be there, like, every weekend, even if just for a couple hours. ALAS.

Pictures all ended up being of the "Oooh, look at this thing!" variety than the artistic variety, but enjoy anyway. The Pirates line one is total blurry crap, but I include it for the "Dude, it does look like the CA version!" factor.



7 comments:

  1. Oooh - I love all the pictures - even the blurry Pirates one!! And, I sure can tell by Peter Pan's face, that he is just like that guy at Nordstrom!! :-) As I was looking at the pictures, I was wondering how many of the cast members are from other countries (the US particularly). Oh, and, nice Minnie ears - very cute!! I guess it is OK to be super lame in Japan, eh?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, it would have been lame not to wear the ears - so many other people were wearing them or something even lamer.

    All the people working the rides and everything were Japanese, as far as I noticed, but a lot of the characters and entertainers were foreign (although I saw a Japanese Alice and maybe a couple princesses).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seeping jealousy right now. Oozing jealousy. But SO SO SO happy for you as I know how long you've looked forward to this! I know EXACTLY the way Pirates is (the humid air, the smell of the water, the sounds of the Blue Bayou) and I can just imagine you freaking out. :D Super awesome experience - thanks for sharing on your blog so I could virtually experience it with you. Looking to experiencing it FOR REAL with you sometime soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome pics and narrative about your adventures at Disneyland! I've been checking your blog, hopeing for an entry ever since your mother told me you were going. I especially enjoyed it since this time last month we were at CA Disney having a blast. It's fun to hear the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your Disneyland experience. It must have been weird seeing and hearing such familiar rides and other amusements in mixed languages and I'm sure you had a few double-takes. I'm glad that you are getting this chance to be in Japan; it sure looks like you are enjoying it. Keep posting pictures like this and you'll have a line-up of visitors. You are a living advertisement for a vacation there. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Carolyn29 May, 2009 09:56

    What a pretty girl in a lovely blue dress!! Love the Minnie barrettes too!

    I'm so happy they have churros there! It wouldn't be the same without them!! :)

    That may very will be the same guy from Nordstrom! I remember that day too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fun time! I am jealous.. I have never been to Disney anything.. Glad you posted photos! I like your barrettes!

    ReplyDelete