Monday, May 4, 2009

Kamakura, Part Two

...we went back to Kamakura and got on the Enoden line, a little train that goes down the coast and was INSANELY CROWDED, but which would be a charming ride with less people (saw lovely ocean views anyway, even if my ribs were crushed against a metal bar for most of the trip). We rode the whole length of the line, to Fujisawa, getting off and on again at Hase Station (still in Kamakura) to visit THE BEACH.

IT WAS SO AWESOME.

It was pretty much just like the beach at home. Cold! Windy! A little miserable! I was happy that the other side of the Pacific feels just like the part I know best.

The only thing that was different was that instead of seagulls, there were crows. (Have I mentioned the crows here yet? THEY ARE SCARY. They’re gigantic, and I’m terrified of them attacking me.)

There were a ton of windsurfers, so that was fun. And there was loads of nautical crap around which was also fun. And it was super super fabulous to be at THE BEACH.

Wanted to go to the beach in Fujisawa too, but it was not as close to the station as I’d hoped (I think we needed to actually get off the train earlier, but my research hadn’t made that clear). Walked in the right direction for a bit, but gave up and went to Hiratsuka. Wanted to go to the beach in Hiratsuka too, but first we walked in the wrong direction and then we were hungry and couldn’t find anywhere we wanted to eat and then it got dark, so we just went to McDonald’s by the station and then came home.

Anyway, Kamakura! I love it! Next time I want to visit a couple more of the Zen temples and go to the beach and visit the Daibutsu again (there was no time to see him yesterday). And go shopping. There are tons of little shops everywhere, and I’ve been in, like, one.

If you come visit me, I want to take you to my number one place in Japan!


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful beach pictures - I can almost smell the ocean!! Seeing the wind surfers in the ocean is fun - they look like they are having as good a time as their counterparts in the Columbia Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen: I want to let you know how very much I am enjoying reading about your adventures. Your writing is awesome! I check regularly for new postings and look forward to reading them. Also, when I read the paper every morning I check the weather in Tokyo and send a little prayer for you. (From: Your mother's 'weird friend')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, Japanese coast DOES look like Pacific NW coast! What is the deal with the rusty anchors? It looks like a tetanus shot waiting to happen. Yikes! I want to go to the beach when we come visit, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all!

    Haha, the rusty anchors! There was crap like that all over the place; with that and the jellyfish I kept almost stepping on, it was, like, the most dangerous beach ever. IT WAS STILL GREAT.

    ReplyDelete