Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Grocery Stores: Part II

Sorry, I fail at taking pictures in the grocery store. Even though I was at the store at a time when it was pretty quiet, there were still always people around when I wanted to take a picture. And I don't want to look like a weirdo gaijin (foreigner) by wandering around the store snapping pictures when people can see me, so I gave up.

I managed one though. And it's pretty awesome. I mean, you have a product with the encouraging slogan of "Let's Make Dessert With Milk," and on the shelf above it, an orange box featuring the adorable face of Iron Chef Chen Kenichi (sorry you can't see this better). In spite of Chen-san's smiling face, I did not purchase that product because I think it was almond jelly or something. I'll eat it if they give it to me in a Chinese restaurant, but it's not my favorite thing. But I did purchase the orange flavor フルーチエ. It is very weird! Like, it tastes nice and orangey, but the texture is not what I expected. It's a little jiggly like Jell-o and a little puddingish and kind of looks like yogurt. Strange. But not in a bad way.

I'll try again someday, but for now, this is the only glimpse of grocery shopping I've got for you. Um. Just go to Uwajimaya or something; it's basically like that.

2 comments:

  1. I can see Chen-san's face if I enlarge the pic - very nice!! That "Let's Make Dessert With Milk" looks like not quite set pudding. I'm glad that it has a nice orange flavor!! And, I'll hold out for another time when you can manage to get more pics. I love Uwajimaya, but I want to see a part of a store that is extremely Japanese - you know, maybe a department that is totally unlike anything I have ever seen!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...the "Let's Make Dessert With Milk" box totally cracked me up! I thought the Iron Chef endorsement was cool - but I do love that show! Perhaps you can post your own video of Iron Chef Jentastic, cooking in your tiny apartment??? ;)

    ReplyDelete