Thursday, September 24, 2009

KANSAI

IT IS SO GREAT.

Early yesterday morning, I got back from four days in the super fantastic Kansai area (we visited Kyoto, Osaka and Nara). It was an amazing vacation, but not nearly long enough! I need to go back! I will maybe try to go back for a weekend in November to enjoy the fall colors and hit a few places we didn't have time for.

We took the night bus there and back, which was exhausting, but cheap. Stayed at a hostel that was cheap and convenient and comfortable (I got to sleep on a mattress for the first time since I got here!).

Some things that we did: walked around a lot (and maybe met maiko), visited Kiyomizu-dera temple, enjoyed part of the Fushimi Inari shrine, enjoyed takoyaki, shopping and purikura in Osaka, walked through a bamboo forest, fed and hung out with monkeys, visited Kinkaku-ji temple, visited Ryoan-ji temple, visited Todai-ji temple and fed and were scared by deer, and really enjoyed the public bath near our hostel (cheap and so relaxing). More details and pictures will come over the next few days. To start with, have some pictures of food.

Okonomiyaki with takoyaki and yakisoba, takoyaki, Mister Donut, a green tea parfait, and udon. ALL DELISH, although the pictures didn't all turn out great.


3 comments:

  1. Holy YUM! That parfait seriously made my mouth water - what were the dark green cubes? Concentrated tea or something? The udon also looked super cozy and delectable. Are all doughnuts in Japan shaped like the ones you've posted, round and kinda like a bundt cake? They're very pretty to look at! What was the flavor of this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to have a yummy platter of okonomiyaki, yakisoba, and even the takoyaki - it all looks so very tasty!! Is that iced coffee, or tea, sitting with the donut? And, I think the pics turned out quite well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark green cubes are green tea jelly.

    And not all doughnuts in Japan look like that, just the ones I like. It's the same kind as that matcha one I posted before, but this one is just the regular flavor. It has a chewy texture of deliciousness.

    And I was drinking cafe au lait with it.

    ReplyDelete