Sunday, September 6, 2009

Serious and Fluffy (for Erin)

Hey, today is my six month Japanniversary! I'll celebrate by answering some questions!

What has surprised you the most so far, about living in Japan?
Difficult question! I think it's surprising how Japan has proven not to be surprising. For the most part, it's been what I expected it to be. Better than I expected it to be, maybe, but not really in a surprising way.

I guess the politeness is surprising too. You know, you hear about how polite Japanese people are, so it wasn't a complete surprise to find that it's true. But the level of politeness and consideration for other people is so drastically different from at home that it was still a bit of a shock. A really lovely shock. One of the things I will definitely miss when I leave here.

How proficient do you think you're becoming in speaking Japanese?
My Japanese is pants. I'm usually okay at speaking the sort of Japanese you use in restaurants and shops and so on (although maybe my politeness level isn't always as high as it should be). And my English is peppered with more and more Japanese of the "I am reacting to what you are saying" and "I am expressing my emotion" sorts. But I suck at, like, having a conversation. Maybe I can understand a lot of things that are said to me, but I don't have the words to respond. I am studying though, and I'm definitely better than when I got here!

Do you feel the experience has made you more brave than you were going into it?
Probably. I mean, I didn't really feel like I needed to be brave to come here; I was kind of pretty zen about the whole thing. But I think that moving here and finding that I can get by really well in a really foreign place where, you know, I don't really speak the language, has made me feel like I can go anywhere I want and be okay.

What is the current flavor of the month over there?
I'm not sure! It's a period of transition. Summer on the way out, autumn on the way in. Starbucks just started featuring creme brulee drinks. I had some delicious asian pear booze the other day; I kind of hope that'll be the new flavor of the month.

What's your current order at Starbucks?
Depends on the weather; it's been indecisive lately, sometimes hot, sometimes cool. If it's hot out, tall matcha Frappuccino. If it's cool, tall soy latte. Nothing too exciting!

What is the cutest thing you have seen recently?
A cell phone charm that was a Kewpie doll dressed as Edward Scissorhands. I don't know why I didn't immediately buy it. I'll have to look for it again.

Did you name your various tofu pillows? Or do you just call them "tofu?"
Sorry, I didn't! They might actually be pre-named, but I don't know. I just call them all Tofu.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa...creme brulee Starbucks drinks? SOLD! I think you need to find the Edward Scissorhands kewpie charm again, and immediately - that sounds freaking awesome. And asian pear booze sounds oh so yummy...

    I think that you are brave to go and live somewhere on your own, without knowing anyone there. Looks like you've made some good friends already, which is not surprising, because you're a friendly sort. :) And I am proud of you for taking advantage of all the cool things you can do over there, like go to the coast, climb Mt. Fuji, and eat random delicious foods and drinks. Also, I think we could all learn something from Japanese politeness, so that was a good reminder.

    Tell all the Tofus hello from me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you could be any braver than you were as you left to go to Japan 6 months ago - that was hugely brave!! As to your Japanese proficiency, it is a hard language, and so what you have learned already is amazing. I like when you say "ne" and "hai" in your English conversations - that is fun!! You already were disturbingly polite before, what will you be like after living among probably the most polite people in the world?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no doubt that you could do this!! You have always been an independent girl, and I knew you would acclimate yourself to your new surroundings quickly! What a great adventure in your life!! :)

    ReplyDelete